Download the resource list for print.
The First Church of Christ, Scientist, Boston MA
210 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston MA 02115-3195
Email: The Clerk’s Web Response Team, christianscience.com, (617) 450-2000
“The Mother Church” is an alternate and affectionate name for The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Massachusetts, which was established by Mary Baker Eddy and a dedicated group of her students in 1892.
The Christian Science Publishing Society
210 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston MA 02115 Contact––(617) 450-2877
The Christian Science Publishing Society is the publishing arm of the Mother Church. Today publishing includes multiple platforms for electronic media publishing, www.time4thinkers.com, www.christianscience.com.
The Mary Baker Eddy Library
Open to the public for tours, and available to research of the church archives. For questions and tour information call (617) 450-7000 Located at 200 Massachusetts Ave, Boston, MA 02115. www.marybakereddylibrary.org
Christian Science Reading Room (Charlotte)
(704) 332-2845; 1800 Camden Road, Suite #101, Charlotte, NC, at the East Blvd LINKS train station. Free parking.
The Reading Room is your special place—where you can purchase a wide variety of Bible translations, Bible commentaries, the writings of Mary Baker Eddy and her biographies, children’s Bible games, music CD’s, or you can just come to read, borrow, study, or listen to healing talks, and inspiring music in a quiet space supported by prayer. (Please call before you come as hours can vary. Most days, hours are M-F 10am – 3pm; Sat 10 –1pm.)
Publications Available in our local Christian Science Reading Room:
The following print publications, software, and other items produced or distributed by the Christian Science Publishing Society are available in-stock through our local Christian Science Reading Room:
- The Holy Bible: A variety of Bible translations are available in the Reading Room including the King James Bible, and newer Bible translations and Bible commentaries.
- Writings by Mary Baker Eddy:
- Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures- available in 17 languages.
- Prose Works- Miscellaneous writings of deep spiritual insight & practical wisdom.
- Manual of The Mother Church- The legal and spiritual framework that guides our Church.
- Christian Science Quarterly Bible Lessons: The weekly Bible Lessons are available to study in multiple formats: citations only, Full text, myBibleLesson (a youthful edition with Bible notes, definitions and study questions), and eBibleLesson (PDF, audio, ePub
- Christian Science Sentinel: Inspirational articles for anyone seeking healing ideas.
- The Christian Science Journal: Deeper thought articles for students of Christian Science. The Journal also includes the worldwide listing of Christian Science Churches and Societies, Christian Science Reading Rooms, and Christian Science Practitioners, (CS), who are engaged in full-time public healing practice, and Christian Science Teachers (CSB).
- The Herald of Christian Science: International magazine supporting the spiritual growth of its readers published in major languages.
- JSH-Online.com is the website hosting the archives of the Christian Science Journal, Sentinel, and Herald magazines since their founding issues over a hundred years ago, as well as up-to-date new content published daily. Subscriptions also include the quick version of the Bible word concordance for the Bible and the writings of Mary Baker Eddy called Concord Express, as well as audio books, daily news briefings of The Christian Science Monitor, the Bible Lessons you can read online or listen to, pamphlets and anthologies, and Sentinel Radio archives of all the inspirational interviews of people healed by Christian Science. It is reasonably priced and you can subscribe at www.JSH-Online.com
- The Christian Science Monitor: A Pulitzer prize winning news magazine of international and national news published weekly, or for up-to-date daily news by email––www.Christiansciencemonitor.com
- Mary Baker Eddy Biographies, including “Mary Baker Eddy: Christian Healer,” “A World More Bright, the Life of Mary Baker Eddy,” “We Knew Mary Baker Eddy, Volumes I & II,” and others.
- Music CDs: to inspire and heal through worldwide joyous song and music styles. Come relax, be inspired when you stop by and enjoy listening to these CD’s in our Reading Room listening chair!
- Games: Radical Acts–the Game—A thought-provoking, interactive way to explore Jesus’ most challenging teachings, for ages 12+ with a group of 2-10 players.
Special Orders: There are a number of other items that may be special ordered through the Reading Room, including leather Bibles and Science & Health with key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy, etc.
CHRISTIAN SCIENCE SUMMER CAMPS and Family Camp Activities
For Christian Science Sunday school attendees and their families:
- Adventure Unlimited & DiscoveryBound Headquarters, 5201 S Quebec St, Greenwood Village, CO 80111 (303) 779-3000 www.adventureunlimited.org
- Camp Bow-Isle – Bowen Island, BC, Canada www.bowisle.ca
- Camp Newfound/Owatana newfound-owatonna.com
4 Camp Newfound Rd Harrison ME 04040-9987 – 207-583-6711
- Camps Leelanau & Kohana – 1653 S Port Oneida Rd Maple City, MI 49664
(231) 334- 3808 www.leelanau-kohahna.org
- Cedars Camps (636) 394-6162 1314 Parkview Valley, Manchester MO 63011
Directors Fax: (775) 264-6826 www.cedarscamps.org
- Crystal Lake Camps, 1676 Crystal Lake Rd Hughesville PA 17737 (570) 584-5608
To learn how you can contribute to send a young applicant to a Christian Science Summer Camp, tax-deductible gifts can be mailed to: The Campership Fund, c/o Martha Weiss, Treasurer, 2860 Umberland Drive, Atlanta, GA 30340, or call Marilyn Baum, Executive Director at 770-331-6173.
ADDITIONAL CHRISTIAN SCIENCE NON-PROFIT FOUNDATIONS & SERVICES
- Albert Baker Fund– Provides educational funding for Christian Scientist internationally for college & vocational training, Christian Science Monitor internships, Christian Science nurses education, Christian Science US Military chaplain masters programs, language training for Christian Science lecturers, Sultzberger Fellowship training for editors of the CS Monitor, Christian Science College Org representatives, A/U Discovery Bound Leadership Council education. Send tax-exempt gift to:The Albert Baker Fund, 1510 J Street, suite 150, Sacramento, CA 95814, or to request funds visit www.albertbakerfund.org or call (800) 2690388.
- Morning Light Foundation––Provides Christian Science visiting nurse services to homes in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, and Northern Florida. For more information, call 770-794-0247 or write Morning Light Foundation, PO Box 7604, Atlanta, GA 30357.
- Christian Science Nursing Care Training—
- The Tenacre School of Christian Science Nursing offers courses for Christian Science Nursing on its campus in Princeton, NJ. For more information call (800) 626-9155 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may also contact www.aocsn.org for more Christian Science nursing training courses offered in other locations around the country.
- Clearway Foundation–A non-profit that supports CS nurse training & CS nursing organizations. Call (949) 702-3811, www.clearwayfoundation.org , 27212 Valleymont Rd, Lake Forest, CA 92630
- The Dominion Foundation––Gives benevolence to patients using CS nursing in the home or for those individuals interested in becoming CS nurses, who need financial assistance, (804) 223-2480.
- Longyear Museum––Owns & maintains 8 historical homes that Mary Baker Eddy lived in. www.longyear.org or call (617) 278-6000 or 1-800-277-8943. Open: Sun, Mon, Thurs, & Sat.
- The Principle Foundation––A non-profit foundation that “promotes inspired benevolence in accordance with the teachings of Christian Science.” 2405 Grand Boulevard, Suite 1040, Kansas City, MO 64108 Ph# 800-826-7756 or 816-561-5955
CHRISTIAN SCIENCE HOUSING AT UNIVERSITY & PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS
Asher Student Foundation is Christian Science housing serving more than 50 universities, colleges, and professional schools. Every Asher House offers Christian Science college students a respectful, moral, and uplifting community of support. Check www.asherhouse.org for the current list of housing opportunities for Christian Scientists. Call Asher Student Foundation (800) 622-7437, or contact email@example.com
LIBERAL ARTS EDUCATION for Students of Christian Science
Principia College is an Illinois Accredited Liberal Arts College for Christian Scientists, established in 1932, whose purpose is:
“developing the power to think accurately, wisely, and with intelligent discrimination; cultivating the ability to dissect thought and discard that which is not constructive in daily living; strengthening the capacity to form high ideals and the courage necessary for standing by those ideals until they are outlined in Christian character—that is the work The Principia regards as true education.” Founder, Mary Kimball Morgan
Students major in 28 subjects, with a student-faculty ratio of 8:1, all are active students of Christian Science with nearly 20% of the students coming from 30 countries, and 92% of the cost was the average financial aid given last year. The college has a walkable core campus on 2600 pristine acres where nature abounds. For information, call (618) 374-2131, Principia College, 1 Maybeck Place, Elsah, Illinois 62028
Principia Upper School, 13201 Clayton Road, St. Louis, Mo 63131. Call (314) 434-2100
Principia high school, called the Upper School, was founded in 1906, is both a boarding school and a day school for young Christian Scientist in grades 9-12. Students come from nearly 30 states and a dozen countries with students forming friendship from many parts of the world. Dedicated teachers, love what they teach and their students, and instill a zeal for learning. Athletic, extracurricular, and community
service opportunities provide strong character development education. All teachers, staff, and students are practicing Christian Scientists, uplifting the entire high school experience and strengthening the students’ commitment to Christian Science.
PRINCIPIA DAY SCHOOLS––for St. Louis area Christian Scientists
Principia Middle School (grades 6 – 8) 13201 Clayton Road, St. Louis, Mo 63131
Principia Lower School (grades 1 – 5) 13201 Clayton Road, St. Louis, Mo 63131
Principia Pre-kindergarten (ages 3-5), & Principia Kindergarten (ages 5-6), and Principia Acorn/
Infant Program (ages 1-3) 13201 Clayton Road, St. Louis, Mo 63131
LIFELONG LEARNING FOR ADULT CHRISTIAN SCIENTISTS
- Principia Summer Session––For Lifelong learning––Elsah, Illinois campus
Open to all adult Christian Scientists & Principia alumnae and their spouses who may not be CS. This is a fun one-week or two-week session of classes you choose, with special speakers, movies music, all meals, accommodations, and camaraderie. Classes have included in recent years: art history or studio art—sculpture, painting, etc, literature, writing, Bible study, religions, science, political landscape of nations, dancing, swimming, exercise, walks, world events and cultures, law, American history, singing, bookmaking, photography, painting, golf, fencing, tennis, and more. For more information go to: www.PrincipiaLifelongLearning.org
- Principia Trips––Lifelong learning travel, primarily trips abroad, are scheduled throughout the year. Travel information is also available at: www.PrincipiaLifeLongLearning.org website.
- For Additional Trips––See ads on the inside back cover of the Christian Science Sentinel during warm weather months.
FILMS ABOUT MARY BAKER EDDY
A film about the life of Mary Baker Eddy, “The Healer,” is being produced by Christian Scientists for the public. If you choose to support this ongoing work or have questions, you may contact, Dick Upshaw at “A Brighter World, Inc., 1428 E. Maplewood Court, Centennial, CO 80121
How to Find a Christian Science Nurse for Home Care
- Call Carolina Haven at 1-800-538-7296 for guidance to help you find the care service you need.
- Call a Christian Science nurse listed in The Christian Science Journal
- Go to the internet site www.christianscience.com for a list of Christian Science nurses
- Call a Christian Science Nursing facility or Organization from the list below and ask for the Superintendent of Nursing for assistance.
ORGANIZATION OF RESIDENTIAL HOMES FOR CHRISTIAN SCIENTISTS
Midwest and South
Here are two examples of residential living arrangements, taken from the previous page list:
Tenacre Foundation––A beautiful natural campus of 1 and 2-bedroom rental cottages for independent Christian Scientists-in-Residence, includes utilities, housekeeping, phone, linen service, appliances and furnishings. Tenacre is 3-miles from downtown Princeton, NJ. Call (800) 626-9155 and ask for “Christian Scientists-in-Residence.” (Some Christian Science nursing care is also available.)
Lynn House––Has six lovely apartments, a beautiful patio-deck overlooking gardens with birds and woodland creatures. Services provided include all meals, housekeeping, transportation, community outings, crafts, activities, metaphysical discussions and lectures, light nursing assistance if needed, “in a happy atmosphere.” (703) 379-6000, or (800) 283-4325, or mail to: Lynn House, 4400 West Braddock Road, Alexandria, VA 22304-1010
CHRISTIAN SCIENCE NURSING CARE FACILITIES and VISITING NURSE SERVICES
- Arden Wood, 445 Wawona St, San Francisco, CA 94116 www.ardenwood.org (415) 681-5500
- Beacon Haven and Christian Science Visiting Nurse Services for Minnesota (CSVNS) 1200 Long Lake Road, New Brighton, MN 55112 www.beaconhaven.org
- Broadview, 4570 Griffin Ave, Los Angeles CA 90031 www.csbroadview.org (323) 221-9174Canterbury Crest, 8838 SW 57th Ave, Portland, OR 97219 www.canterburycrest.org (503) 639-7661 or toll free 1-866-639-7661
- Chestnut Hill Benevolent Association, 910 Boylston St, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 (617) 734-5600 MA www.chbenevolent.org
- Clearview Association, 935 Main Street, Delafield WI 53018 (414) 342-6030, www.christiansciencewisconsin.org
- Christian Science Visiting Nurse Service for Michigan, 3068 Crisfield Dr NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525
- Daystar Inc, 3800 S Flamingo Rd, Davie, FL 33330 (954) 473-0167 www.daystarfl.org
- Desert View, 8390 E Via De Ventura F-110 #249, Scottsdale, AZ 85258 www.desertview.us
- Fern Lodge– 18457 Madison Ave, Castro Valley, CA 94546 firstname.lastname@example.org (510) 886-2448
- Glenmont, 4599 Avery Road, Hilliard, OH 43026 email@example.com (614) 876-0084
- High Ridge House, 5959 Independence Ave, Riverdale NY 10471 www.highridgehouse.org (718)796-4200
- Lynn House, 4400 W Braddock Rd Alexandria VA 22304 www.lynnhouse.org (703) 573-5113
- Morning Light Lodge, 2535 Bankstone Dr, SW Marietta, GA 33064 (770) 792-1198, www.morninglightcs.org
- Peace Haven, 12630 Rott Road, Saint Louis, MO 63127 firstname.lastname@example.org (314) 965-3833
- Southwest Florida Care Services, Sanibel, FL 33957 (239) 989-2100
- Sunland Home Foundation, 691 Sparta Dr, Encinitas, CA 92024 www.sunland.org (760) 944-2976
- Sunrise Haven, 24423 100th Ave SE Kent, WA 98030 email@example.com (253) 813-2096
- The Leaves, 1230 W Spring Valley Rd, Richardson, TX 75080 firstname.lastname@example.org (800) 880-4864
- The Olive Glen Foundation, 3025 Becerra Way, Sacramento, CA 95821 (916) 486-1161 www.oliveglen.org/nursing.htm
- Wide Horizon, West 38th Ave, Wheat Ridge, CO 80033, (303) 424-4445 www.widehorizon.org